Monday, August 2, 2010

The journey begins...




     After a night of folding and cramming everything I deemed essential for my year in Holland (into to my beautiful new purple luggage ;)).....an even later night followed with rethinking, refolding, and re -cramming the final cut of essentials to make the 50 lb. traveling weight limit. Sweating all the way to the airport wondering if the airlines were going to bust me for my 3 carry on items, cleverly disguised into the allotted "2 personal items," I cleared security and was on my way!! (*None of which could have been done without the expert packing of Sir Joseph Hu and Momma Nick, Thank you :) How you fit all my socks in that one pocket, I will never know...which is why they are not making the trip back to California ha.*) 
     
    Exhausted from watching my friends and family pack my stuff, naturally I slept the entire plane ride to England. I quickly awoke with excitement for my short flight into Düsseldorf. Wandering over to baggage claim the thought crossed my mind that I was not here for a short ODP camp or a vacation, I was on my way to my new home for the next year, and I could not wait to embrace my new life. Rolling my 48.5 lb. and 49 lb. bags out to meet Henny, the team manager and his wife, I was greeted with a big smile from the 'other American', Caitlin. Just as curious and nervous as I was, Caitlin and I had a good hour drive to the Netherlands to introduce ourselves and it didn't take long to realize I would be in for an adventure with a wonderful new roommate, teammate, and friend. I mean for starts, our birthdays are only four days apart, hers falling on Halloween, how cool is that?! ha. The drive to Enschede where Henny and his wife live was beautiful. The rodes are surrounded by big trees and greenery, and the homes have huge glass windows with cute bricking and flowers in the yards. A liiiiiittle different from driving around downtown L.A. but I thiiiink I will deal just fine. After a nice stay in a hotel where Caitlin and I both had our own rooms (not too shabby) we were greeted by the happy whistling of our "Dutch Daddy," Roel. "I will be your Dutch Daddy and if you need anything, I will take care of it..oh and womanly needs, um my wife will, ok, no problem." I couldn't wait to email my parents to calm their worries, I had a Dutch Daddy! along with a warm and welcoming family that was more then pleased to help make Caitlin and my stay comfortable. 


    


     We headed to the city of Hengelo where we will be living for the next year and straight to the Stadium we went. Henny introduced us to the most important people we needed to know (coincidently he introduced every person as 'this is the most important person you need to know.' good to know they only hire the best of the best around here!). The eyes would squint while Henny introduced us to each person in Dutch, but as soon as we heard the word Americans come out of Henny's mouth, the reaction was simultaneous among the important of  importants, "Aaw The Americans, welcome!" The awaited Americans had arrived and we were more then pumped after touring our stadium (which is near the size of that of an American Football stadium) and learning some club culture, to be a part of FC TWENTE. The clubhouse, the locker room, the training facilities, and team store were all very professional and admirable and we could not wait to spend our time there. Filled with inspiration, it was time to play the role that earns one all those wonderful perks, Futbol. I just hope somewhere among the cramming and re-cramming of 'essentials,' my cleats made it in with my year supply of socks, bathroom bag, coloring book, and snacks. :)


1 comment:

  1. "Exhausted from watching my friends and family pack my stuff, naturally I slept the entire plane ride to England."
    typical. HAHA. i LOVE it! soooo jealous that you are out traveling the world, livin the dream, man!! an inspiration to us all.... now, if only i can complete MY lifelong quest of finding a dutch daddy.....

    ReplyDelete